Sunday, April 5, 2015

August 11, 2014- Week 2 in Vista Hermosa

Hey everyone! It was another beautiful week here in Atlixco! We had a couple of really cool experiences that I want to share with you guys :)

Experience #1: So during my first week, we were walking back home, and a woman stopped to give us a ride. (There are combis that we can take, but they don't pass by very often, and they're usually too full to pick us up.) We started talking to her about how we're missionaries, that we shared messages about Christ and His Gospel, and she asked us to come visit her! So we went last Thursday, and had one of the best first lessons that I've ever been in! Her name is Gabriela, is about 40 years old and has 3 kids. She was SO nice, and was completely willing to try anything we asked her. She explained to us that she was born in the Catholic Church, but after she had a few bad experiences growing up, she has been searching for the "right church" ever since. She gave a beautiful prayer at the end of the lesson, and told us that she would probably go to church with us. And she did!....except she got there a little early, only saw a couple people, got a little scared and decided to leave! So she told some members to tell us that when we come on Tuesday, she wants us to help her "feel more prepared so she can go with us next Sunday"! She's so cute :) Even though it was a bummer that she wasn't able to stay, I was seriously so impressed that she put in the effort. Sometimes as a missionary, that's all I want to ask for - just a little effort! We have a REALLY good feeling about her...and we're super excited to see how this next week goes!

Experience #2: A family of 4 contacted US on Friday. Super great huh?! They were attending a Christian church, but are looking to attend somewhere else. More than anything, the mom Marsela is concerned that her daughters (who are 14 and 16 years old) don't know anything about God. So we went and taught them on Saturday, and they seem really interested! They wanted to go to church, but they already had plans that morning, but said for sure they'll be going next Sunday :) They are super nice and I know that the Gospel will bless their lives.

Experience #3: Remember Minerva? Well, she brought a friend to our appointment last Tuesday! She said that she loved what we shared with her the week before, and wanted her friend to listen too. Look at her already being a missionary! :) Her friend seemed super interested too though! He lives in Puebla though, but we made sure to get his number and passed it on to the missionaries there. We're super excited about her :) We just need to get her to church!

Experience #4: This will explain the picture that I'm attaching. So we rode a combi to one of the areas that we have, and when we got there, the driver just told us that instead of paying 10 pesos for the ride, to go and buy him a Coke (which is also 10 pesos). So we went into the Oxxo (which is like 7-11 in Mexico) and bought him a coke. The thing is...I don't know if they have this in the US, but here, they have Cokes with names on them. So we searched and searched for a certain one...until we found it. Haha :) They we gave him a card too, and told him to contact us if he wanted to learn more :) He definitely got a good laugh out of it!

Guys...I can't believe that I'll be completing 9 MONTHS this Wednesday. It sure has gone by fast! A year ago yesterday, I went to the temple for the first time :) I've done a lot of thinking about it lately (especially since I miss going to the temple so much!) and I realized that really, my purpose as a missionary is to help others become converted, endowed and sealed in the temple as a family. It isn't just to get them to baptism, which is so important as well. But the Lord's work isn't to baptize others, it's to help Heavenly Father's children to live with Him again - in the Celestial Kingdom. And that requires them getting to the temple. It makes it just so much more important that I'm prepared as a missionary so I can help others reach that potential. I definitely have a lot to learn, but I'm hoping that I can do that for the people here. I have an eternal family, and they deserve one too :)

I love this work! I know that it is the Lord's work, and that He stands at the head of this Church, directing all of its affairs. I know that President Monson is a prophet, and we can receive revelation through his words, the words of the Apostles, and the words in the scriptures. I love the scriptures, and I love how they testify of Christ. And I know that there is so much power in prayer. I know that our Heavenly Father listens to every word, and that He knows us, loves us, and wants to help us. I know that this church is true, and I know that it is God's kingdom here on the earth today. So let's help it grow! :) I love you all so much, and I hope you have a fantastic week! 

Love always,
Hermana Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment