Monday, April 27, 2015

April 27, 2015- Week 8 in Mayorazgo!

Well, this week was pretty normal! We are still having a lot of success with the less-actives, but investigator wise.... well, we're working on getting more references and news! Nancy is doing well, and they're working on getting married so she can get baptized, so that's good news! And her son Irving is probably getting baptized this week! So that will be exciting!
This week was a lot like last week, with lots of walking (but less sunburnt faces!) But Hna Perez and I decided that when no one was home or we couldn't keep walking anymore, we would go to a members house and look for ways to serve. And if they didn't let us do something for them (because most say, "Hermanas! Of course I won't let you guys help me wash the dishes! You're servants of the Lord!") then we asked them for brooms so we could sweep their neighbor's sidewalk. And that's what we did! I think a lot of them were extremely surprised... and their neighbors were too! But it did help us to feel better, and to find more people to teach.
We had a super zone conference this week! Honestly, it helped me out a ton! The Zone Leaders talked about our weaknesses...and focused in on Ether 12:27. We talked about recognizing the weaknesses, working to over come them, and recognizing that our weaknesses don't define who we are. There's a talk that I really love by Elder Uchtdorf titled "Forget Me Not" and one part talks about our weaknesses:
I want to tell you something that I hope you will take in the right way: God is fully aware that you and I are not perfect.

Let me add: God is also fully aware that the people you think are perfect are not.

And yet we spend so much time and energy comparing ourselves to others—usually comparing our weaknesses to their strengths. This drives us to create expectations for ourselves that are impossible to meet. As a result, we never celebrate our good efforts because they seem to be less than what someone else does.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

It’s wonderful that you have strengths.

And it is part of your mortal experience that you do have weaknesses.

God wants to help us to eventually turn all of our weaknesses into strengths, but He knows that this is a long-term goal. He wants us to become perfect, and if we stay on the path of discipleship, one day we will. It’s OK that you’re not quite there yet. Keep working on it, but stop punishing yourself.

Dear sisters [and brothers], many of you are endlessly compassionate and patient with the weaknesses of others. Please remember also to be compassionate and patient with yourself.
As missionaries, I think our weaknesses seem even more apparent than they normally would. And sometimes, I get down on myself for not being able to do some things better or in the way I would like. But this zone conference was absolutely perfect because it helped us to stay motivated and keep trying. 

Story of the week: Well, the Primary song "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission" has been in my head ALL week! But every time I start to sing it, my companion starts singing "I Hope They Make Me an Ex-Missionary"   -_-  She likes raining on my parade haha but I sure do love her!
We also got to give surprise talks yesterday at church! I guess the bishopric informed our mission leader that my comp and I were going to give talks....but he forgot to tell us! Thank goodness they mentioned it to us about 5 minutes before the meeting started or else I'm sure it would've been a disaster! I realized while I was giving my talk that...the Lord has blessed me in SO many ways here. One of the ways has been with the Spanish. Honestly, it was one of the hardest things of the first part of my mission. It stressed me out to speak in lessons, not to mention talks in church! But as I was talking yesterday, I realized that Heavenly Father really can bless us with the gift of tongues! It's something so subtle and a daily process, that sometimes it's hard to notice. But 17 months ago I couldn't even say "My name is Sister Smith" in Spanish. And now, well, I can at least say more than that, haha! Heavenly Father is so incredible, and I'm so grateful for His help!
Well, that was our week! Sorry that there isn't much to tell! But have a great week! I love you all!!
Love always,
Hermana Smith

Photos:
We went to a lake/pond/I'm-really-not-sure-what-it's-called-in-English-anymore today! It was nice to get out and see something new. When you're in the middle of a city, it's difficult to see places like this haha







No comments:

Post a Comment