Tuesday, August 12, 2014

March 3, 2014- Week 8 In Tehuacan!

Hola Familia y Amigos!

First of all, thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes :) It definitely was a different experience for me, being here in Mexico and all, but it was still a good one. 20 years old - AHHH. I´m gettin' old.

Anywho, this week was just another slow one. Don´t worry, no surprise trips to the hospital, so all is well! Haha! But my companion had to take it really easy. Wednesday I went on splits with Hermana Martha, an hermana in the ward. She is magnificant! We were able to contact quite a few references, and visit Rosario, who is still face quite a bit of difficulty right now. It has been amazing to see the members include her and Lupita in the activities, and visit them when they don´t make it to some of them. Members really are SOO important in this work, I can´t even begin to explain how important. But, it was really good for me to go out and be a missionary without my trainer by my side. It was so scary, but I definitely feel more confident in my ability to speak, so that´s good. :)

Thursday and Friday, Hermana Muñoz and I were able to go visit some of the less actives that live around our apartment. We also talked to some of our investigators, and we have a new one! I don´t remember if I mentioned him last week, but we have an investigator named Jose who is the best friend to the bishop´s son. He has been attending seminary every day for the last 2 weeks, went and visited the temple with the ward on Saturday (the temple is 4 hours away) and yesterday, he came to church in actual church clothes! He is seriously an amazing young man. He is 15 years old, and wants to be baptized! We are going to talk to his father tonight and ask for permision...please pray for him! We also found quite a few new investigators, and I have really good feelings about them. I feel bad that we haven´t been able to teach as many people as we need to, but this week, we are ready to work super duper hard! (Well...as hard as my companion can, haha)

Saturday we went to Puebla! But I woke up to my companion singing Happy Birthday to me, and she had bought me a little stuffed elephant for my birthday :) She's pretty much the sweetest. And don´t worry, I bought myself a small piece of cake in Puebla, so my birthday was somewhat normal. But everything at the doctor's was great. They took out the 5 stitches, and now she can work again! We have to go back in 3 weeks, and she still has to be really careful about what she eats, but we're excited. Yesterday, the bishop's family threw a little party for me and Elder Pendleton (his birthday is today), so that was sweet. Overall, it's been a good week and birthday :)

This week I have been thinking a lot about what it means to be a consecrated missionary. My companion gave me a talk given in the MTC about this...and it has really caused me to reevalute myself as a missionary. The speaker shared the scripture in Omni 1:26, which says that we need to offer our whole souls as an offering to him. I have found myself a bit...frustrated (I don´t want to use that word, but that's the best I can think of right now) with not being able to work these first few weeks. But it has definitely made me want to give everything I can when we can. Ït's a lot that the Lord asks - to offer our whole souls, absolutely everything that we have. But that's when we can find ourselves. That's when he can take our weaknesses and make them strong. That's when we can reach our full potential, through the power and grace of the person who knows us so much better than we know ourselves. I know this is like the 100th time I've said this in this letter, but really, we are so excited to work this week! It has been a great blessing that my companion has been able to heal as quickly as she has :)

I love all of you so much, with all my heart! Have a wonderful week, and HAPPY WEDDING DAY TO MY SWEET SISTER ON SATURDAY! :) 

With all my love,
Hermana Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment