Tuesday, August 12, 2014

July 14, 2014- Week 3 in Ameyal!

Hello!

We managed to contact 40 PEOPLE in the street this week! May not seem like many...but it really is here! We were so happy that the Lord put that many people in our path! The hard part is that only 1 family said yes out of all of the people we talked to...but it's a family of 8! And 3 of the kids are old enough to be baptized! We have an appointment with them tonight at 7, so PLEASE send some quick prayers our way so that they can accept to learn more! The children are absolutely adorable... there are 3 boys and 3 girls, just like my family :) Every time we pass by their house, they run out, yelling "Hermanas! Hermanas!" We know that if it wasn't for them, the parents probably wouldn't even give us a second glance. But the kids want us to visit so badly, that they said we could :) Thank goodness for little kids!

This week, we also had an amazing zone conference, definitely the best one that I've been to since I started my mission! The Spirit was just so strong...and I left feeling SO motivated. I know that was definitely one of the reasons why we were able to do so much more this week - we realized that we needed to have more faith. I'm not going to lie...I'm pretty sure that this week was the hardest week of my mission so far. But I know that the Lord isn't going to abandon us. I know that everything is going to work out. 

One part that I loved about the conference was when we talked about commitments. In order to have a commitment, there has to be a what, how and why. And obviously, the why is the most important part. We talked a lot about our own personal desires as missionaries - why we committed to come out here, why we contact people on the street, why we decide to be obedient, etc. And as I thought about it...I realized that it is, and should be, because we love the Lord, and we love our fellow brother and sisters. To go along with that, I have started studying the New Testament this week, and I have learned a lot about Jesus Christ and His disciples.

Sometimes, I feel like it's impossible to change. Sometimes I feel like I'm just stuck in my way of living, unable to change routines, change my thoughts, and especially change my desires. But something that I have learned from studying and applying the Atonement is that Christ can change ANYONE. He took a group of fishermen and made them into apostles and some of the greatest missionaries this world will ever see. He turned them into His representatives and His servants. He changed their desires and their whole outlook on life. And I know that we can do the same for us. If we aren't doing things for the right reasons, we can change. If we find others who have lived their whole lives contrary to the commandments of God, I know that He can change them. Christ's love and influence is infinite and perfect. It can do amazing things to the hearts of God's children, members and non-members alike. 

“If ye love me, keep my commandments,” Jesus said. So we have neighbors to bless, children to protect, the poor to lift up, and the truth to defend. We have wrongs to make right, truths to share, and good to do. In short, we have a life of devoted discipleship to give in demonstrating our love of the Lord. We can’t quit and we can’t go back. After an encounter with the living Son of the living God, nothing is ever again to be as it was before. The Crucifixion, Atonement, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ mark the beginning of a Christian life, not the end of it. It was this truth, this reality, that allowed a handful of Galilean fishermen-turned-again-Apostles without “a single synagogue or sword” to leave those nets a second time and go on to shape the history of the world in which we now live."
-Jeffrey R. Holland-

...If you know someone that maybe isn't living the Gospel, or doesn't know about the Gospel...please do them the favor and share something with them this week. It may not be easy. It may not be comfortable. But I know that it will make even a small difference in their lives. We are disciples of Jesus Christ, and I know that He can give us the courage and words if all we do is ask for His help. We are His disciples, and He can make us capable. So that's my little challenge for this week :) 

Also, I am SO grateful for my companion. This week was hard for both of us...but we have been able to keep each other happy and positive. I know that if she wasn't as amazing as she is, this would sure be a lot harder! :) 

All in all, Ameyal is an adventure. But it's one that I love :) Thank you for all of your prayers, and I love all of you so much! Have a great week!

Love always,
Hermana Smith

PS - Congrats to my brother and sister in law...I'm an aunt again! :) 
PSS - Waffles with Nutella. I love American food. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment