Tuesday, August 12, 2014

July 28, 2014- I'm not really sure how to start this... but Week 5 in Ameyal!

Hey!

This week was a crazy one! But really all that I can say is that we spent half the week in Ameyal and the other half with the sister leaders in Cholula. We had a small problem come up in our area, and President thought it would be best to get us out of the area for a few days. We will be going back today for wekk 6, but we know for sure that we will both be having transfers next week. It was a really good experience though - to be with Hermanas Rangel and Villa here in Cholula. We had quite a few good experiences, and more than anything, it helped us to get back our enthusiasm for the work. 

One experience happened Friday night. We spent most of the time contacting for the hermanas as they went to appointments. That night, we saw a woman in the park, watching her kids ride their bikes around. We introduced ourselves, asked if we could talk with her and her family one day in their home, and she surprised us by saying "Well, I've got time now, if you'd like!" Her name was Irma and it was an amazing experience. We asked her about her beliefs, and she started to tell us about how her 15 year old son refuses to believe in ANYTHING, and how it got worse when her dad passed away last week, and when 3 other relatives of hers passed away about a month ago. So, obviously, we started to talk about the plan of salvation, and when we told her that we believe in a life after this, where we can be together as families, she just started to cry. The Spirit was so sweet in that moment, as she asked me again, "Is there really a life after this, and I can be with everyone I love?" We told her that yes, as we do the things that God has commanded us to do. She was so excited. We asked when we could visit, but...of course, her husband is also athiest like her son, and won't let her listen to anyone about religion. But she asked us to give her ALL of the pamphlets that we have and a Book of Mormon that she can read when he isn't there, haha. This experience helped us a lot to know that there are prepared people everywhere...we just have to find them. And I really hope that one day, her husband's heart will be softened, and she can investigate the church more. 

We were also able to attend a baptism on Saturday :) Those are always wonderful. 

Then last night, a family that was baptized two weeks ago asked us to come to a family home evening with them. When the four of us got there, the father asked if we could just have a testimony meeting, and share spiritual experiences. It was so wonderful. When Salvador asked me to share a spiritual experience, one came to my mind that I had forgotten about, something that had happened shortly before I received my call. As I talked about it, I was able to realize just how much that experience, the one I had forgotten about, really changed me in that moment, and how it has helped me ever since. It was a really great hour that we all shared together, one that I think we all really needed. 

All in all, I am quite sad that things aren't going the way that we had hoped here in Ameyal. But, I know that there is a purpose to everything, and I hope that in this next week, we can do the best we can to bring people unto Christ. This morning, I was reading in 2 Nephi 28, and I came upon verse 30, which says, "For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts and lend an ear to my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom" The Lord is teaching us, little by little. And we're learning, little by little. And the people in Ameyal are preparing...little by little.

Thank you for everything! I love you all so much! Have a fantastic week!

Love always,
Hermana Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment